Friday, November 25, 2011

Linda Cordeiro - Sampa!

Hi everyone, see below an interview with Linda C. She is an American diplomat, and lived in Sao Paulo, Brazil, for two years. Linda certainly has a lot to say about the ugly, but interesting city of Sao Paulo. Ok, I’m the only who can say that, I am from Sampa! J
Luso: Linda, after two years living in Sampa, how would you define the city?
Linda:   I’m a city person; was born in New York, raised in San Francisco, lived in Tokyo and Los Angeles, so Sampa was another great city for me to explore.  If you are bored there, you are just not trying very hard.  There’s always something to do, someone to do it with.  The city does not sleep.  That being said, get-aways are essential because after about 4 months, I realized I no longer was able to relax.
Luso: The violence often published in all type of media is the main concern of those who are going to live in São Paulo, Brazil. What’s your perception of this problem?
Linda:   Common sense (see disclaimer above about city life) is your best guide.  If you don’t have it, entertain at home.
Luso: What are your favorite spots in Sampa? What would you recommend?
Linda:   It just depends what you want to do.  Sala São Paulo is lovely for live music and performances.  Livraria Cultura is a terrific 3 story bookstore with a theater on the top floor.  Shopping Cidade Jardin (Mall) has a bunch of stores I could never afford, a beautiful layout, and a movie theater with extra-luxurious seats.  Driving to the beach on the new highway is a joy (if you do it early in the morning/late at night, away from holidays and traffic time!)  I liked Arola 23, a 23rd floor hotel restaurant which serves tapas.   Mary Pop, Love Story, D-Edge for music/dancing.   The bar at Hotel Fasano (but not the restaurant).  Natal and Pipa for beach stuff, dune buggies and aero-bunda, Aracaju (Sergipe), and would go back to Salvador (Bahia) and its neighboring cities and beaches in a New York minute!  I mean … a Sampa minute.  My favorite spots were my neighborhood "lanchonete" where I could get a variety of food and pay per kilo, or just have the "prato do dia".
Luso: What have you learned about the Brazilian life style? What could you tell us?
Linda:    Compared to Brazil, I found the US to be kind of emotionally cold.  I got very used to being touched, hugged, and generally treated with more demonstrable affection.  Friendships formed quickly and lasted.   Emotions, good and bad, are more freely expressed.  The idea of spending time with friends is different  - people rarely go out alone.  Likewise, if I made a breakfast date with someone, we did not part ways after the meal.  We usually spent the entire day and part of the evening together as well.
Luso: Finally, what Brazilian dishes are your favorite?
Linda:  I’m 4kg heavier than when I left.  I love Brazilian coffee, pão de quiejo, moqueca, piraruco and carne de sol, picadillo.  There’ s a lovely restaurant called Mani which serves Brazilian fusion cuisine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment