Friday, November 25, 2011

Living in Cape Verde - Maciej and Bob



See full size imageHi, everyone! How are you doing? I am ok! Today our interviewees are Maciej and Bob. Maciej is from Poland and Robert is an American diplomat. Both have been living in Cape Verde for almost 3 months. They certainly have a lot to tell us about this beautiful country. Queridos, super obrigada por sua participação!
Luso - Maciej and Robert, we all miss you. How has been your life in Cape Verde? What are the main differences between your life there and the life that you used to have in the U.S.?
Robert: So far life has been very different, very interesting, and pretty nice.  Though I've worked many years in Africa, Cape Verde is an African country that is also very European, with a strong, enduring Portuguese cultural influence.  I've also never lived in an island country before, and much of life and work here is influenced by the geography of the islands that comprise this country.  For example, when we arrived at the beginning of July, Santiago island, where the capital city of Praia is located, was dry, barren and brown, with no color at all.  Now we're in the midst of the August-October rainy season, and the entire island is full of the most beautiful greenery a person could ever see.  It now seems like we live in one of the most picturesque places on earth--but two months ago I would never have thought it possible.

Maciej: For me the main difference is that life is much calmer and slower, very relaxing. The only moments I need to really try hard to be "zen" are when the drivers stop in the car in front of me blocking the way, because they just saw a friend on the sidewalk and want to talk to him, or in the stores, when not like in US the seller, not customer is a king and it may take quite a time before you finally buy some meat or chicken. Also, Praia is a very small city, so after some time you have a feeling you know everyone. I really enjoy it :)
Luso - Maciej, I saw on your Facebook that you have been taking amazing pictures of places and people. Which are your favorite places in Cape Verde?
Maciej: I always try to find beauty in any place. So far we know only Santiago island, but I like the Cidade Velha - the first town in the islands with amazing ruins of the first catholic cathedral outside Europe, I like Praia with colorful places and people, I like the Cruz The Papa park with the monument of the Polish Pope John Pope II, but it's really hard to decide what's my favourite place, when you live 3 minutes to the beach and 30 minutes to the mountains.
Robert: So far my favorite places are the lighthouse peninsula here in Praia, where you can go and watch the ocean for hours, watching the waves crashing into the rocks; and the mountains on the way from Praia, on the southern tip of Santiago, to Tarrafal, on the northern tip.  It's an unforgettable drive.  I also like the old Portuguese colonial architecture of Plateau, the business/commercial center of Praia. 

Luso – Cape Verde had tough economical and political times in the last decades. Nowadays, according to many economists, it is considered a stable democracy. In spite of the short time, what is your perception about how the economic improvements have affected Cape Verdean’s life?
Maciej: Bob for sure will have much more to say, but I'm very impressed with the quality of the modern roads outside Praia, I wish we had the same in Poland. There's not a lot of cars in there yet, so driving is a real pleasure. And I think Cape Verde has huge opportunities for the use of clean energy. There are some first windmills, but there's still a lot to do.
Robert:  Having lived and worked in 4 other African countries, there's no question that Cape Verde is impressive.  It has made huge strides in the past ten years in terms of lowering the poverty rate among its people, improving infrastructure, strengthening government accountability, and improving public services.  There's a civic consciousness here that is rare in Africa; people have a sense of the common good--unlike so many other countries in the region where private gain seems the only thing that matters and corruption is rampant.  Cape Verde, prosperous, stable, relatively well-governed, and safe, gives a person hope for the future of Africa.

Luso – Cape Verde is famous for its music; one example is the great singer Cesária Évora. Which new sounds and rhythms you have been listening to?
Maciej: Cesaria Evora is very popular in Poland where i come from, actually she's one of my mom's favourite singers. She recorded a beautiful song with Polish artist Kayah, it's easy to find in on iTunes. New sound for me is fu-na-na - fast and funny rythm, for which you dance using your hips. I really like it, it's a great music for the sunny and hot climate.
Robert: Because I work such long hours, it's hard for me to get out and hear live music.  But I have heard lots of mornas and fu-na-na.  I really like the mornas, even though they're relentlessly sad--like the music of many island countries in the world.  I'm not so crazy about fu-na-na.

Luso – What about the Cape Verdean food? Do you have any special suggestion for your colleagues who are going to live in the country?
Maciej: The special suggestion - bring Nutella with you! Being serious - the food is great, I especially love buzios - the grilled seafood. Also in Praia there are some really good restaurants, we are lucky to live just above of my favorite one. I also like to order grilled chicken: after the meal I have some bones to share with the dogs living on the streets.
Robert: I love Cachupa Tradicional.  It's delicious and nutritious--easily my favorite Cape Verdean dish. 

Luso – Open space for your input.
Maciej: Cape Verde is a beautiful country. Breathtaking landscapes, nice and friendly people, outdoor gyms, interesting history - a great place to visit.
Robert: So far so good here in Cape Verde.  I'm impatient to see some of the other islands.  Already I can tell we'll have plenty to discover throughout our three years here.  Also, though proper Portuguese is useful in my work, Krioulo is the real language of daily life here, and I need to learn some. 


No comments:

Post a Comment